Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, it is important to note that not everybody will experience these side effects. Some symptoms such as breast tenderness and abdominal (stomach) pain, throwing up (vomiting), feeling sick (nausea) are also possible signs of pregnancy. If you miss your period and experience such symptoms after taking ellaOne, you should do a pregnancy test.
Very common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people):
- Feeling sick (nausea)
- You might have some irregular bleeding until your next period
- You might have lower abdominal pain
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
- Being sick (vomiting). If you are sick, read the section ‘What to do if you are sick (vomit)’.
- Your period might be different. Most women will have a normal period at the expected time, but some may have their period later or earlier than normal. You might also have some irregular bleeding or spotting until your next period. If your period is more than 5 days late or is unusually light or unusually heavy, you should contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- You might have tender breasts, diarrhoea, feel dizzy after taking this medicine.
Very rare effects (may affect up to 1 in 10000 people):
- Rash, urticaria, pruritus, swelling of the face pelvic pain, painful period.
For further reading concerning ellaOne: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/6657/pil